10 Minute Pea Pesto Pasta Recipe
Pasta is 100% one of my favourite meals whether I’m at home or in a restaurant. I would happily eat it every evening and simply change up the sauces each day. I love most pasta dishes (minus anything containing seafood), and pesto pasta has always been a personal fave as it is so simple and easy to use out of a jar. But out of the jar is probably not the most nutritious version of pesto, and my boyfriend avoids having too much dairy so most jarred pesto is out… We were given a yummy dairy free pea pesto recipe and this is how we discovered the idea of pea pesto and we’ve adapted the recipe (so many times as we eat it so often) to get the perfect taste!
Why pea pesto?? Well, I love a bit of healthy eating. So I’ll do anything to add more protein/veg into my meals, especially if I can do this in a really tasty pasta sauce. The bowl of peas contains over 11 grams of protein so this is a great nutritional addition to my “pesto”, whilst providing a creamy texture to the sauce.
Ingredients and Serving Suggestions
This pea pesto recipe takes 10 minutes to make so it is super quick and you can make it whilst your pasta is on the hob. It serves 2 people and you will need:
- 1 bowl of peas (roughly 225 grams)
- A pack of fresh basil leaves (30 gram pack)
- 2 lemons (juice of)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 75-100 grams of pine nuts
- Salt and Pepper
- Gluten free pasta
If you want to add more protein to your dish you can add chopped chicken breast, chicken sausage, chorizo etc.. Simply cook them as usual and stir them in to the pasta at the end.
How to Make Pea Pesto
Note * You will need a food processor or blender
- Put your water on to boil and then add pasta
- Add water to the peas and defrost them in the microwave for 3 minutes
- Peel and finely chop the garlic cloves
- Juice 2 lemons
- Take the basil leaves off the stalks
- Take the peas out of the microwave and drain most of the water from the peas- leave a small amount
- Add all of the above (peas, garlic, lemons, basil leaves) along with pine nuts and a little bit of the pea water to the blender
- Blend until smooth and add more pea water if needed for consistency
- Season with salt and pepper
- Drain the pasta and put back on the hob
- Add the sauce and stir on the heat to warm through
- If you had cooked any additional chicken etc. then add this in now
- Once heated through, it’s ready to serve!
And there you go! A quick and easy pea pesto recipe that is so delicious. Give it a try this week and tag #essentiallyem on Instagram so I can see what you thought to the recipe! For more tasty ideas, check out my other recipes in the food section of Essentially Em.